Adding to the Subversion global ignore pattern for Tortoise and Cygwin

I hate to say this, but I spent two hours trying to find out how to add global ignores to my Subversion clients. There is plenty of documentation and forum posts, but strangely nothing that told me exactly what I needed to do! *sigh* Flame me if you wish.

In particular, it took me ages to realise that svn propedit svn:ignore . only sets up ignores for the current directory only - these properties are not recursive.

Tortoise - add to the global ignore list

  1. Right click on any folder.
  2. Select Tortoise SVN
  3. Select Settings
  4. Navigate to General
  5. Add "*.bak " to the global ignore pattern (note the space at the end).

Cygwin's SVN command line client - add to the global ignore list

  1. Edit your subversion config file. E.g. vim ~/.subversion/config
  2. Uncomment this line (and add the *.bak) global-ignores = *.bak *.o *.lo *.la *.al .libs *.so *.so.[0-9]* *.a *.pyc *.pyo

Popular Posts