If you are a developer, stop what you are doing and read this now: Steve Yegge's Google Platform rant.
- Why can't Google Reader work with Google+?
- Why can't Flipboard work with Google+?
- Why is Google senior management not using Google+?
Why can't I change the default font size in Chrome?Yes you can - but for a long time you couldn't. Whew. (But another lesson for me: too many sites control the font size when they shouldn't.)
- Why can't Google Docs support user created styles?
- Why does the Google Docs mobile UI suck. SUCK.
It's all about Platforms and Accessibility.
Never before has this been made so clear to me. It has changed the way I think about my job.
Steve deleted the original post because it was meant to be an internal communication only, but I think what he says is important. It points out the most important thing that Amazon does right and Google does wrong. And it has quite changed the way I think about SOA.